Algerian Striker Islam Slimani announced his Premier League debut with a brace as Leicester City cruised to a 3-0 victory over Burnley on Saturday.

Islam Slimani
Islam Slimani

Slimani joined Leicester for a club-record fee of around £30million on transfer deadline day and wasted no time warming the hearts of Leicester City fans.

Slimani, added the brute force to international team-mate Riyad Mahrez’s trickery as the pair put Burnley troubled Burnley all through the duration of the game.

The Clarets fell asleep to allow Slimani to score before and after the break and Steven Defour wasted their best chance in the first half.

The Foxes were coming off the back of Wednesday’s historic 3-0 win at Club Brugge and manager Claudio Ranieri had warned his side their European success could not be used as an excuse for a poor performance against the Clarets.

READ  £100 million rated Arsenal target hint at move after discussing future

Heeding his words, the Foxes began brightly as Daniel Amartey planted a volley well over and Jamie Vardy miscued a header with Burnley pinned back at the King Power Stadium.

The Clarets have not beaten Leicester in six years and Jeff Hendrick, making his full debut after a move from Derby, did not look like bucking that trend when he dragged wide after 19 minutes.

The Foxes were comfortable with goalkeeper Ron-Robert Zieler, in for Kasper Schmeichel who was out with concussion, untroubled.

Slimani, one of two changes from that defeat at Anfield, opened the scoring in first-half injury time when he rose to powerfully head home Christian Fuchs’ excellent set-piece delivery.

READ  Chelsea Offer £200,000-per-week Deal To Goal Machine, Club Eager To Hold Urgent Talks

And his second arrived straight after the interval, another close-range header following good work from compatriot Riyad Mahrez, whose low cross deflected in off Ben Mee late on to cap a resounding win.

The hosts were not content to sit back on their lead, however, with Mahrez, Daniel Amartey and Fuchs all going close in the space of 30 seconds as the Burnley defence scrambled.


Leave a Reply